I’ve been playing with healthier updates of comfort food classics. There’s nothing like a warm meal when a nip is in the air. The smell of hearty stews and sage laced with sage lifts me on my toes like a cartoon character and spins me around, partner that with something like mashed potatoes and I’m in heaven. Since foods like that aren’t in my life anymore I re-imagined some meals I love with a twist!!
For the filling
- lentils – 1 cup
- mushrooms – chopped (optional but extra step, for even deeper flavor
- balsamic vinegar 1/4 cup
- onions – 1/2 cup sautéed
- garlic – 2 cloves minced
- veggie stock – 2 and 1/4 cups
- sage – 1/2 teaspoon
- thyme – 1/2 teaspoon
- salt and pepper to taste
For the topping
- sweet potatoes – 3 peeled cubed
- egg whites – 4
- cardamom – 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Spray sweet potatoes with olive oil spray and bake in a 350° oven until they are tender about 30 minutes
- While the potatoes are baking start the lentils. Heat the stock with the lentils in pot. When the stock boils reduce to a simmer and cook lentils uncovered for 30 minutes.
- In a separate pan heat olive oil over medium heat to sauté onions, garlic and spices. Cook for five minutes before adding the mushrooms balsamic and 1/4 cup of veggie stock.
- Cook for another 20 minutes until the liquid is reduced.
- Add lentils to the mushroom mixture. Mix and turn off heat.
- Spray a lasagna pan with non-stick spray.
- Transfer mixture into pan.
- Whip egg whites until the have stiff peaks.
- In a separate bowl use a mixer (or food processor) to whip sweet potatoes and cardamom.
- Fold egg whites into sweet potatoes.
- Evenly spread sweet potato mixture on top of filling.
- Bake in a 375° oven for 35-45 minutes.
- Cool for 15 minutes before serving.