“Only the pure in heart can make soup.”
- Ludwig Van Beethoven
This soup looks creamy and it has a creamy flavor without adding milk. I think if you wanted an even heartier flavor you could add orecchiette pasta. Those pasta cups would gently cradle this roasted flavor goodness. Go for it!! Make soup!
- 2 1/2 pounds Roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste, for seasoning tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 1 cup freshly chopped basil
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth (you can use chicken broth)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
3. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup in the stockpot, or transfer soup to a food processor or blender to blend. The soup should be smooth, with a few tomato chunks. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve warm.
Note-be careful when transferring the soup to a blender or food processor. You may want to wait until it is at room temperature to blend. Blend the soup until it’s more smooth than it is, but not to a silky purée (You want to keep some of the chunky tomato flavor).