Come September we’re greeted with the inevitable back-to-school frenzy. It’s never really about school, though. Whether or not you’re actually going back to the books is irrelevant; Back-to-School has become this momentous movement. “Buy yourself a new look! Start school with a new wardrobe! Head into class a whole new you!” say the advertisements.
Call it a second New Year, if you will, because January first is no longer the only day we’re allowed to start tabula rosa and declare as many resolutions as we’d like. It’s another opportunity for a new beginning that calls for cleanses, detoxes, re-vamping and of course, shopping sprees of epic proportions.
But forget wardrobe for a moment; trends are only trendy for so long. Fashion fades. Your skin, however? It’s yours forever. Take the time to re-evaluate your skin and have fun with it. Fall is the best season to get acquainted with your skin type and understand its needs. After all, the extremities of summer weather aren’t the best time for you to find out what truly works (we’re all too focused on sun protection and keeping our faces oil- and shine-free). The same principle applies to the winter months, making now, in the midst of all this back-to-school frenzy, the perfect time to start fresh.
Fall in love with your skin all over again. It’s time to get your skin back into tip-top shape this fall.
- It starts with the basics. Wash your face with gentle facial cleanser to rid your skin of any dirt, oil or makeup.
- Scrub the past away. Exfoliation helps slough away any dulling and pore-clogging buildup, leaving behind a brighter, fresher, smoother surface. Take your time; gently massage your face in circular motions, giving extra attention to the center of the face where congestion tends to occur.
- Relax. Prepare an at-home facial sauna by heating up a large pot of water and carefully transferring it into a bowl. Find a comfortable position in which you’re leaning over – but never touching – the water before draping a towel over your head to help capture the steam. Relax for those 15 minutes as you let the steam dilate and cleanse those pores. Let those pores breathe…
- Extend that R&R session for a while longer. Apply a Kaolin Clay mask to draw out any remaining impurities. Doing so will help minimize the appearance of even the most congested and enlarged of pores. Extend your relaxation session for those 15-20 minutes. Push the back-to-school craze out of your mind for those few moments and get back-to-the-beginning… After all, this fall is about a new start, no?
- Tone it up. No New Year – faux or not – is complete without a toning session. Wipe the toner in outward directions until the cotton pad comes up clean.
- Hydrate. Slather on with your favorite moisturizer, preferably one with SPF protection (because we’re off to start this year right). Like they say, hydrated skin is healthy skin, and healthy skin is happy skin.
- Admire that new complexion in the mirror. The tiniest bit of care makes the biggest difference in your skin. Remember that, always.
Here’s to going back to school (or not), putting your best face forward, and new beginnings.
. . .
Kimberly Yang is a 20-year-old blogger, sometimes freelance writer and full-time business school and journalism student. Previously the fashion editorial intern for two boutique magazines and now writing for Mario Badescu Skin Care. Visit Mario’s Facebook page, Twitter, and Pinterest boards to learn more.