‘Ugh! I can’t believe that happened’
‘That’s just great. I knew he wasn’t going to help’
‘Now what am I supposed to do?’
Negative emotions can wreak havoc on your mind, body and spirit. Bad feelings breed more bad feelings and tend to have a snowball effect. Have you had something bad happen and then another bad thing happens? It seems that it can take forever to turn a bad day around.
You can stop the madness!
1. Read an inspirational quote. I’m a book nerd and reader by nature. Words make me feel better, so this resonates. Two of my favorites:
“The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it”
“Sometimes letting things go is an act of far greater power than defending or hanging on.”
2. Laugh! Doctors are right- it is the best medicine. It is almost impossible to have a negative thought when you wear a genuine smile and laugh. Go ahead- guffa
3. Rewrite history in your head- when you can take a moment to imagine a better outcome- you are on your way to creating a new ending
4. Visualize the future- things won’t seem as important. Bad feelings amplify everything. Turn the noise down. Think ahead and know that in the end, it’s all small stuff.
5. Don’t run from the feeling. Sometimes it’s important to let emotions ‘complete’ the cycle. Stuffing pain down only creates more stress. This kind of repression can also trigger bad habits (emotional eating, drinking and other self-destructive behavior). So acknowledge the pain, anger, regret or disappointment. When you stop resisting, the feeling disappears.
Nothing lasts forever- it may not feel good to hear that in the moment, but wiser words were never written. ‘And this too shall pass’…. You can’t control the world but you can control how you respond.
We hope that these techniques help you to inspire a better outlook when the going gets rough.