This isn’t your grandma’s potato salad. Hey, don’t get me wrong- I love mayo. Alas, my booty doesn’t allow it very often. I’ve talked a lot about cutting carbs our of my life. It’s an affair that is hard to end (and quite frankly one of my most successful relationships, see: why I do yoga). But the truth is I’ve been running again. It’s been a great addition to my yoga practice, but without carbs I’m crampy and crabby, a lethal combination to be sure. So I decided that once in a while I can splurge on carbs that are healthy yams, quinoa and beans. This potato salad has curry for a unique flavor and can be served warm or cold with lettuce added. I like it with lettuce because the cold lettuce, warm potatoes and honey mustard balsamic dressing- WOO HOO!!! I’m getting excited just typing it!!!
It’s a great weeknight wow dinner for the family. Or it also makes an impressive salad for a casual dinner.
- 3-4 sweet potatoes cubed
- curry powder- I use a curry powder recipe that I’ve doctored up. I’ll include it, but those who really like curry know that it’s a personal experience. So I’m not here to mess with yours, but if you don’t care- use mine, because it’s awesome. Ok, onto the next thing.
- your favorite lettuce – 4 cups (I used a spring mix)
- salt – to taste
- olive oil spray – (use a mister, you can use real olive oil and cut down on calories if you don’t like the spray!)
- apples – 2 cups cubed (not to be a redundant but what I said about curry applies to apples so rewind and play that then, use what you like. Gala was on sale, so that’s what came home with me.)
- golden raisins 1/4 cup
- pistachios (optional) 1/4 cup crushed
- onion – thinly sliced
- broccoflower (or cauliflower, I was feeling daring so…) – 2 cups roughly chopped
- honey 1 T
- dijon mustard 1T
- olive oil 1/4 cup
- balsamic vinegar 1/4 cup
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 425
- Coast the potatoes and broccoflower with the olive oil and toss with the curry powder
- Spread the veggies evenly on an oiled cookie sheet
- Bake for 25-30 minutes
- Toss veggies with apples, lettuce, raisins and dressing
Do you have any favorite fall salads? Tell us in the comments section!!!